Curry sauces are generally made by adding a curry paste or dry spice mix to stock and/or coconut milk and then mixing in meat, vegetables or tofu and serving over rice or flatbread. The curry flavor is best freshly mixed, so don't be afraid to create your own mix on the spot.
Below is a list of some well-known curry mixes and what they are best used for:
- Green Curry Paste- This is a spicy type of Thai curry that is good with fish and seafood.
- Malay Curry- Made using a dry spice mix or a curry paste, Malay curries have a strong Indian flavor and are usually cooked in coconut milk.
- Massaman Curry Paste- This is a Thai curry paste that has warm, rich Indian spice flavors. It works well with meat and poultry.
- Red Curry Paste- This is a Thai spicy curry that goes well with beef, game, duck and pork.
- Madras Curry Powder- One of the most popular curry blends, this Indian spice mix can be used anywhere curry powder is called for.
- Tamil Curry- This is a southern Indian blend used to flavor rice or vegetables.
Herbs and Spices by Jill Norman